Saturday, May 5, 2012

Oseh Shalom

Oseh shalom bimromav
hu ya'aseh shalom aleynu
v'al kol yisrael
vimru amen

Translation: 
He who makes peace in his high places
he shall make peace upon us
and upon all of Israel
and say amen


The song, “Oseh Shalom”, is a Hebrew song has become a traditional for the Northport High School Tour Choir. Hebrew is one of the oldest languages in history and this song is often heard at the conclusion of the Jewish liturgy. The English translation of the lyrics is: “May he who makes peace in high places, make peace for us and for all Israel, and let us say, amen”. The universal meaning of these words can be spoken in any language, for nearly every religion, and can be shared by all. I have sung this song numerous times, but the true power of music was shown to me when I sung this song as a tribute to those who died at the Nazi Concentration Camps in Auschwitz, Poland. We (the Tour Choir) were about half way through our European tour of the Czech Republic, Poland, and Germany, when we visited the camps that were established in Auschwitz. The choir sang all the Hebrew songs in our repertoire in honor of those who were put to death in these terrible camps. We sang in between the crumbled remains of two of the largest crematorium on a cloudy, depressing morning. We sang in memoriam millions of lives that were unjustly taken. We sang for the group of Jewish students who were paying homage to those who share their faith. They knew what we were singing. We brought tears to their eyes and showed how even through all the atrocities that might have occurred, it can all end up well. It is instances such as that when I realize how intertwined everything is with each other. What happened that day opened my eyes and has showed me how music means more than what it appears to be. It is a day in my life that I will never forget and has inspired me to use music whenever I am in doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment