Wednesday, September 19, 2012

I Can Say Whatever I Want

Today in my Expository Writing class, we talked about the idea of free speech and whether or not the government has the right to censor what is allowed to be published (in response to reading an excerpt of "Howl" by Allen Ginsberg). It is hard to determine if there is a line which writers can/shouldn't cross while writing for an audience. Admittedly Ginsberg didn't intend for "Howl" to be published, yet obscenities have grown more popular in today's culture. A large amount of shows on television deal with sexual and vulgar jokes which many wouldn't like to tell their parents. I think this has desensitized our feelings toward these subjects and have created a society where these topics almost seem expected for a show to be a hit. I haven't decided for myself whether or not this is positive or negative, but it definitely makes me think. But as of right now, I can say what I want, whenever I want.

1 comment:

  1. Ginsberg wanted Howl to be published. Most writers do.
    Luckily, Kafka and Emily Dickinson were posthumously
    resurrected, as was Melville's Billy Budd. As for TV, I love Shameless. It's wonderfully outrageous.

    ReplyDelete